The holiday season is upon us. The hustle and bustle is pressing, and work is still going on. But the one thing that helps me focus is my martial arts training. I am tired, because, there is so much to do. It was so nice turn everything else off and just focus on my training.
If you throw a hook, and shorten it, it is an elbow. At least the #1 horizontal elbow is a shortened hook. This little tidbit last year really helped me realize how to do the mid range hooks.
Tuesday 12/17/2019 – 2 hours… Muay Thai and Kali/Silat
Today in Muay Thai, we continued our month of elbows to clenches. I can feel my elbow strikes getting much better in execution. I am executing them well because I am stepping in, I am using my body, and I am throwing them with good form. Yay progress…!
- lead elbow #2 upward diagonal elbow, rear elbow #6 side in elbow, lead elbow #9 spinning backward elbow, and lead elbow #1 horizontal elbow when opponent advances.
- lead elbow #1 horizontal elbow, rear #8 lady putting flower behind her ear elbow, clench, 3 skip knees #2, off balance spin out, and kick
- Clench to 3 skip knee #2, off balance, to spin out, to double rear kick.
- We then got a chance to do the man in the middle drill. It was so much fun. This is a clench drill with three people. One man in the middle has to switch up between the other two to clench and get knees in. The third person has to have a hand on middle persons back.
We worked on disarms, asymmetrical sparring, blocking, passing, cutting stabbing and C cuts.
Wednesday 12/18/2019 – 1.5 hours… Muay Thai
If you have been practicing martial arts for a while I am sure you have experienced this phenomenon. If you have not, look out for it. It is absolutely amazing. This phenomenon I am talking about is the, your trainer asks you to do one thing just slightly different and it completely throws you off.
We are often taught about advancing when fighting. Today we were doing advancing drills for jab, jab, cross. However, Tony had us doing it were we had to attack while backing up. Let me say that again. Attack while backing up. Now you might think yeah… nah that is easy. But then your brain will mess you up.
So what I had to do was work on the footwork first and then work on adding the punch in. Focus a pendulum step back while throwing a jab. This felt so counter intuitive. However, by the time we finished I was able to get some what comfortable with it. This is a drill I will have to practice on my own. But it is great for when some one is advancing and you need to pop some in punches in there and then return a harder one.
- 3 minute jump rope
- 1 minute burpees
- 3 minute jump rope
- Jab, jab, cross, advancing x 2 rounds
- Jab, jab, cross, while backing up x 2 rounds (focus on pendulum feet)
- Jab, jab, rear kick x 2 rounds
- Drill 1: x 2 rounds
- 1 – Jab, rear kick, lead hook, rear cross, lead hook
- 2 – Jab, cross, lead kick, rear cross, lead hook, rear cross
- 30 seconds of kicking after every round
- Drill 2: x 2 rounds
- 1 with elbow – Jab, rear knee, lead elbow
- 2 with elbow – Jab, cross, lead knee, rear elbow
- 2 with hands – Jab, rear knee, lead hook, rear cross, lead hook
- 2 with hands – Jab, cross, lead knee, rear cross, lead hook, rear cross
- 30 seconds of knees after every round
- 30 seconds of flutter kicks
- 30 seconds of side scissor kicks
- 30 seconds of sit ups
- 30 seconds of planks
Thursday 12/19/2019 – 3 hours… Muay Thai and Kali
Whew I am exhausted today. My husband asked me if I wanted to practice/pad rounds, the hour before class we were going to be at the gym. My answer was no. I don’t want to, because I have been up since 4:30 am
Conditioning rounds with Tony
- Jump rope for 3 minutes
- Jab, clench, three knees, push out, teep
- Jab, cross, three knees, push out, teep
- Jab, lead hook, lead elbow, knees, push off, teep
- Clench, to step in off balance, to curved knees
- Clench sparring
Again working on disarms, asymmetrical sparring, knife and stick.
- Disarm an assailant with a stick with bear hands on a #2 strike, or on the outside.
- Disarm an assailant with a stick with a knife in hand, on a #2 strike, or on the outside.
- C cut
- Asymmetrical sparring, one person has a stick and one has a knife.
Friday 12/20/2019 – 1 hour 20 minutes… Muay Thai and Kali
My trainer kicked my booty today. I mean it was one of the hardest workouts I have done in a long time. We had to do a ladder of exercises and run around the gym. I was gassed afterward.
I did the maths, and if I am correct, I think we did 210 burpees, 210 push ups, and 210 mountain climbers, with 20 laps of the gym.
Then he had us doing pad work. It was so hard to keep going after that ladder. But I kept working the pads. Tony brought the 110% out of me today. I loved it and I hated it. It was a fantastic workout.
- 20 of each burpees, push ups, mountain climbers, run around the gym onces
- 19 of each burpees, push ups, mountain climbers, run around the gym once
- 18 of each
- 17 of each
- 16 of each
- 15 of each
- 14 of each
- 13 of each
- 12 of each
- 11 of each
- 10 of each
- 9 of each
- 8 of each
- 7 of each
- 6 of each
- 5 of each
- 4 of each
- 3 of each
- 2 of each
- 1 of each
Then pad work:
- lead kick, rear cross, lead body hook, rear elbow, rear knee, lead leg kick
- lead double leg kick, rear cross, lead body hook, rear elbow, 2 x lead leg kick
- Clenching flow drilling
I am absolutely pooped. When we went to the gym today, I really did not want to do the workout. I did it cause I feel like those days when I really don’t want to go, I should go. I may not necessarily learn more, but I will push through and I will teach my body to do so. I am so happy that I stuck it out and came to class. I had my booty kicked but it was so worth it. I feel accomplished.
Thank you for reading. I learned a lot of things like attacking while backing up. I learned that asymmetric sparring with one double handed sword against 2 sticks is hard. Both those things melted my brain. I am I did it. I am happy I learned it. I have to work on those things for sure, but I learned it. I hope you have a great weekend and Happy Holiday season and a Very Merry Christmas if you celebrate it. If you have any questions feel free to ask.