Looking for a healthy snack or dessert, or if you are me you will eat it for lunch, instead of lunch, cause it is easy and you can just grab it and go. Looking for that chocolate fix. That time when you just want something a little chocolaty, but full of vitamins, fiber and protein. Try this out. Also this is vegetarian, gluten free, and can be vegan if you leave the honey out and replace it with another sweetener.
Chia seeds are amazing…
If you have never had chia seeds before they are an ancient seed, used by the Aztecs and the Mayans. They a jam packed with nutrients, and are simply amazing despite their diminutive size.
“A one-ounce (28 grams) serving of chia seeds contains :
- Fiber: 11 grams.
- Protein: 4 grams.
- Fat: 9 grams (5 of which are omega-3s).
- Calcium: 18% of the RDI.
- Manganese: 30% of the RDI.
- Magnesium: 30% of the RDI.
- Phosphorus: 27% of the RDI.
- They also contain a decent amount of zinc, vitamin B3 (niacin), potassium, vitamin B1 (thiamine) and vitamin B2.”
If you want to read up more about them see the link above. There is a lot to love about these tiny power packed seeds. They are high in fiber, contain omega 3 fatty acids (so if you don’t or won’t eat fish, they are a great alternative source), and plant based protein. I will leave you to read about them if you want. On to the recipe.
Chocolate Chia Pudding
yield: two servings
- 1 and 1/2 cup or 6 oz of Almond milk (you can use, soy, coconut, or even dairy if you want)
- 2 tbs or 1.4 oz of Honey (or to taste, also if vegan, you can use stevia to taste)
- 2 tsp or 2 cap full of vanilla ( you can use any extract you like, I often change it up, sometimes adding Kirsh just for a cherry flavor, or Calvados)
- 4 tbs or 2 oz of chia seeds
- 2 tbs or 0.66 oz of unsweetened dark chocolate cocoa powder (note: I use a heaping tbs, cause I like chocolate)
- Pinch of salt to taste
- Fruit that you like. (e.g. Berries, apples, oranges, etc.)
- Mini dark chocolate chips for garnish
- Mix all the wet ingredients first
- Add the dry and stir till all of cocoa powder is incorporated.
- Let set for 15 minutes, then stir again.
- Cover with lid and let refrigerate for at least 4 hours. This is great to do overnight.
- After set, serve with garnish and fruit.
Calories 274, Fat 13.1 g, Fiber 14.5 g, Carbs 40.3 g, Sodium 141.9 mg,
Protein 6.8 g
I also make a version that is a Chai Chia pudding. Try saying that five times.
You have to add the Chai spices to the mix.
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1/2 tsp of ground ginger
1/4 tsp of ground cardamom
1/8 tsp of ground cloves
Let me know if you are interested in any of my other versions. Thanks for reading.