Training Martial Arts 03/15/2021: Striking Flow w/ Weight Shifting, Maintenance Week
Striking Flow/Shifting Weight
I really love in my training when things just flow right. What I mean by that is I can feel it work. It feels almost effortless in some ways. Not always for me, but some days I get a glimpse of the effortlessness. I wonder is that what it is like for these martial arts masters. Those people who make it look effortless.
What I mean is if you have trained in any striking martial art you may have noticed that the drills are made often times so that you strike with one side say your left, and then you strike with you right side. You do this because we are left/right sided animals. If we are in orthodox stance and hit with a cross our weight shifts to the right side as our arm extends. Then we will return with say a cross from the lead hand or left side. When you do that your weight shifts from left to right, and it flows.
It is nice when working drills and the flow just makes sense. You strike, kick, elbow, knee, kick…your weight shifts back and forth. When it is working right, it feels effortless. This week working on one of the drills it felt that way. It was great. I could literally feel my body shifting, moving, flowing form one strike to the next.
I was being watched by my instructor and she came over to let me know it looked great,fantastic even. I was totally expecting her to say “but” do this instead, or this is needs work. There was no but. It was great. I was turning my lead leg a little bit to much for the hook but it was all good, easy fix.
When you watch those martial artists on TV or the masters you notice they move form position to position with ease and like well a master. That is the goal. I am starting to notice once in a while I feel those flows. It is going to take a lifetime to get to a point where I feel it all the time. But it is nice to feel it some times.
Martial arts goals!
This last week I came off my three week mini cut. I am on a maintenance week. What that means is I need to try to keep to my macros, and eat the same amount of calories that I burn. Lets me just say ahead of time. I have had a hard time meeting those goals this week. I end up being under. But the reason we do this, is to basically reset your body, so that it knows it is not starving.
This stops your body from trying to reach homeostasis and adjust to the mini cut. Keep them confused I say.
By them I mean keep your body confused, and let it think everything is all right. Because if your body thinks you are not getting the food you need, it will go into saving everything you eat mode.
My biggest deficit is in protein. I tend not to eat enough protein. I have one more week of maintenance so I will work on that.
The scale has stayed the same.
|Day 1||Day 2||Day 3||Day 4||Day 5||Day 6||Day 7||Average||Goal||Difference|
Monday 3/15/2021: Workout – 1.5 hours
Warning emotion assault triggers may be present.
Woke up and processed the last dream I had prior to waking. I have always had nightmares about attacks that have happened to me. This morning was no different in that regard. However, I noticed they have shifted or changed tone.
When the person attacked me I defended myself. Yelling “ No, GTF off me” then I dropped him like a rock with an elbow and a reap. “I said stay down and stay the F away.”
Instead of scared and trembling I was pissed. I was pissed he attacked me, I was pissed he immediately started to scream about me assaulting him.
So this morning I guess I was still feeling that way when I chose my leggings – the don’t cross Grrrl leggings. And I choose my Dangerous Woman crop hoodie from No Prince Charming.
Then I realized we girls sometimes or at least I do wear the bright colors, the sayings about our dangerous nature. It’s like the bright colorings to deter predators.
So especially girls wear your gear that makes you feel powerful and let those predators know that you are not to be trifled with!
A) 1 mile run
B ) 20 min Plyometric HIIT:
55 second hard push intervals, 45 seconds rest
1) x4 lunge + shoot a basket ball, x4 lunge + jack, 4x uppercuts, burpee, 4x uppercuts, burpee, 4x uppercuts, burpee, 4x uppercuts, burpee, 4x lunge side + lunge side + tap floor+ tap floor
2) same as above
3) quick feet, 2x 180 jumps + 2x jacks, 2x 180 jumps + 2x jacks, 3x squat + high jump, 3x jack, 3x squat + high jump, 3x jack, 4x jacks + 4x sumo squat and touch, 4x jacks + 4x sumo squat and touch
4) do the same as above
5) 2x jacks + run in place, 2x jacks + run in place, 4x side to side lunge with floor tap + 4x lunges reaching high, 4x side to side lunge with floor tap + 4x lunges reaching high, 4x jump lunges, 2x high knee lunges + run in place, 2x high knee lunges + run in place
4) do the same as above
5) do the same as above
Do this set x3
1) slider sit through x10 reps each side
2) posterior plank to L sits x7 ( these were hard for me)
3) flye push-ups x5 double hand, x5 each side
4) plank wipers x20
Tuesday 3/16/2021: Training -1 hour of Muay Thai training
We are working on dumping again. It was so much fun, and I have so much to work on.
Again we were not trying to rip people’s heads off.
1) Catch jab, slip the cross, return gut shot, lead elbow, rear elbow, rear knee, frame and push opponent off balance, then Puta Kapala.
2) Catch jab, slip the cross, return gut shot, lead elbow, rear elbow, rear knee, frame and push opponent off balance, if he postures up, push face away, and step behind push him over to dump.
I am to tired to write up the rest. We did a lot of punchy, kicky, elbowy, kneeing things. Yay!
Thank you Khun Kru Krysta for a great class.
Wednesday 3/17/2021: Workout- run and calisthenics
I was thrown onto the mats a lot in class last night. I worke up tired and kinda stiff. So I went for a run and did a simple calisthenics workout. The reverse crunches kick my abs… haha see what I did there?
100 sit-ups +plus kb press
100 reverse crunches
That is all. Now I am going to be lazy.
Thursday 3/18/2021: Training- 1 hour of Muay Thai
Guess who forgot to take a picture of the white board. Yup me!
What did we do, oh yeah a lot of dumping, punchy, elbowy, knees, and kicking. I joke, but we worked on distance management. With an opening drill
To get us moving in our feet and keeping them under us.
1) jump rope
2) jab, catch, jab
3) catch, jab, catch
4) catch jab, leg kick, hook, cross, lead kick
5) fed pads for H
6) catch jab, split cross, return the gut shot, lead elbow, shoot your forearm into you opponents throat, rear knee, step through, then puts kapala
7) fed for H
8 ) catch jab, slit the cross, return gut shot, lead elbow, rear elbow, lead knee pushing, lead kick
9) fed for H
10) catch jab, split cross, return gut shot, lead elbow, shoot your forearm into your opponent’s neck, rear knee, step through, your opponent postures up, turn the face away and step behind the opponent to dump.
11) fed H
Thank you Khun Kru Krysta for a great class.
Saturday 3/20/2021: Training – 1 hour of Muay Thai
I hour of training Muay Thai. It was finer learned and worked on a drill series that we had seen once before but it’s been 18 months since we did it. So lots like learning it new again. I really enjoyed the the back and forth flow of the drill.
The drill was the Inosanto 18 count.
1)jab, cross, jab
2) feed for H
3) scoop the Teep, rear kick, lead kick, cross, hook, rear kick
4) held pads for H
5) incoming rear kick, cut kick inner lead leg, rear kick outer lead leg, lead kick torso, hook, rear kick ( this is my favorite, I liked the feeling/flow of the back and forth)
6) held pads for H
7) parry the incoming cross, return cross, hook, rear elbow, rear knee, rear kick
8 ) held pads for H
9) full Inosanto 18 count- scoop the Teep, rear kick, lead kick, cross, hook, rear kick, incoming rear kick, cut kick inner lead leg, rear kick outer lead leg, lead kick torso, hook, rear kick, parry the incoming cross, return cross, hook, rear elbow, rear knee, rear
10) held pads for H
This drill is all about countering, teeps, countering kicks, and countering punches, and immediacy returning a 4 count strike or more.
I missed most of Kali, because I had the honor of interviewing one of my favorite training people. He has to move soon and wanted to get him before he left. He has done martial arts for decades. Yay! Gonna start a new series on my blog where I interview awesome martial artists.
Thank you Khun Kru Krysta for such awesome classes.
Sunday 3/21/2021: Training – 2 hours of Muay Thai training
We did pad work and sparring. I worked on free feeding again. It was great to just work.
I woke and was congested from the freaking pollen in the air. Spring is attacking my face parts. So I was really not feeling working out/training today. But when I started I got going and had a blast.
Thank you H, Khun Kru Krysta, and Amanda for the great training.
I think I got out of training today without a new bruise. Lol
Have you ever gotten that everything is flowing properly feeling? Have you ever felt that moment when your movements flow like water?
Thank you all for coming and reading. If you liked this post please let me know and hit the like button. If you want to see more please subscribe, and if you are feeling chatty please feel free to comment. Let me know what you think, what I might have missed.
Stay tuned for more adventures. I will also be adding interview with martial artists blog posts. I have had the opportunities to work with some amazing martial artists. I have worked with some legends and some who have just been working tirelessly at their martial art just for their love of the martial art.
My day to day stuff is on instgram @sharpcupcake.
As always, Don’t Photo Edit, Just Got Get It!