Hello and today marks the first day of training for me after the holiday Christmas for us. This week the gym was closed some of the days understandably and so my training week is shortened. However, I find I am enjoying having some time off to let my body recuperate.
Normally my schedule is 5 days a week of martial arts training, and 3 days a week of weight lifting. So its good to rest.
I titled this week with the quote from my instructor Khun Kru Krysta. “What is the point of kicking twice if you have to kick twice?” If you don’t kick hard the first time and have to kick the second time, then you have wasted your first kick. Or if you are going to kick twice make them both hard.
Thursday 12/26/2019 – 2 hours… Muay Thai and Kali
Boxing day today. When usually means you go through all your old things and find goods and food you can give away to help others.
Today in Muay Thai we focused on boxing. Moving in and moving out, being light on our feet, and striking then returning our hands to our face.
We also had the opportunity to donate to the gym some of our old used equipment so that the brand new students have something to use till they can get their own.
H and I were able to donate two sets of boxing gloves, shin guards, and an old MMA glove set, that was to big for me. This I believe was organized by Khun Kru Krysta and we were happy to be able to help.
- Jab, catch, jab, opponent throws a jab and you catch it and you jab back and they catch it, then they throw a jab and you catch it.
- Jab, parry, jab, opponent throws a jab, you parry jab, and you jab then opponent parry’s jab, then they throw jab and you parry jab.
- They jab, then you parry, and throw leg kick
- Boxing twenty – jab, cross, hook, cross, bob and weave cross, hook, bob and weave, hook, cross, cover rear body shot, return upper cut, cross, cover front body shot, return uppercut, cross, hook, duck/or dive a big overhand and then body shot to get out, hook, cross
Apparently my boxing is tight and “crispy”. My partner for the night said that it was crispy. I am old enough to have two kids that are 11 and 10 so I am old. =) I think that means it is good and he was surprised about my speed and strikes. Ability to hit my targets keep my shots in the box in front of my body and the power in them. So I will take it.
We worked on asymmetrical sparring, knife against stick, or stick against bare hands.
Friday 12/27/2019 – 1 hour… Muay Thai
Tony my coach kicked my booty again. This was conditioning training.
He started us out with kettle bell swings, and burpees. Then we did pad work, clench, and then we finished with core training. 136 swings and 136 burpees total.
Ladder, and Reverse ladder
- 1 KB swing (25 lbs for me) and 16 Burpees
- 2 KB swings and 15 Burpees
- 3 KB swings and 14 Burpees
- 4 KB swings and 13 Burpees
- 5 KB swings and 12 Burpees
- 6 KB swings and 11 Burpees
- 7 KB swings and 10 Burpees
- 8 KB swings and 9 Burpees
- 9 KB swings and 8 Burpees
- 10 KB swings and 7 Burpees
- 11 KB swings and 6 Burpees
- 12 KB swings and 5 Burpees
- 13 KB Swings and 4 Burpees
- 14 KB Swings and 3 Burpees
- 15 KB Swings and 2 Burpees
- 16 KB Swings and 1 Burpees
- 5 minute round of hitting the bag.
- three rounds of pad holding for partner
- three rounds of hitting pads, (jab, cross, lead kick, horizontal rear elbow, double lead kick, side in drop elbow
- 2 rounds of clench sparring
Finishing exercises – 45 seconds each exercise
- side to side kicks, or scissor kicks
- mountain climbers
- oblique crunches
I got a compliment on my kettle bell swings. Also one of my old coaches said you can do heavier weight Tanya, here swing this. It was 33 lbs or 15 kilos. That is far more than I normally do. I did not think I could do that but she had faith in me. So I guess I need to go buy another kettle bell that is heavier than 25 lbs.
Saturday 12/28/2019 – 3 hours… Muay Thai
Yup just about three hours. We did conditioning rounds, pad rounds and on the bag rounds. I got a total of 35 x 3 minute rounds in. I also got a round in where I got my numbers of kicks and knees in for the Thai test coming up.
Some days you just have to put the mat time in. It is not glamorous, and sometimes grinding out the training can be annoying and boring. I however, have fantastic partners in training. I have an awesome set of coaches/trainers/Kru that help me out.
So while I am exhausted, gonna take a nap here in a bit. I got a great workout in, and I got to do it with people I love.
In class we worked on boxing. I got lots of work in, and had a blast doing it.
I made a video of me working on the bag.
I finished the week off with a bang. I did a total of 6 hours of training in 3 days. Six hours is not bad for a shortened week of training. Give everything you have, pick yourself up when you fall, and keep trying. If I can do it I believe you can do it too. Kick hard both times, and don’t sacrifice power for speed. Keep working to be the best you that you can be.