Ever have one of those days were dinner time just sneaks up on you? Yeah, me too. Today was one of those days. I have had a great day so far, and bam woah its almost dinner time. So I decided to make a chicken salad. But I made it easy on myself.
I bought a rotisserie chicken. I bought pre-washed salad greens mix, and I chopped up some veggies. I made home made croutons, and the salad dressing. But other than that, I just assembled the salad and served. I am lucky… no I trained my kids to eat well early on… lucky is not the right word. From an early age, I asked my kids to try everything, and was ok if they did not like something the first time. I told them that its okay to not like it, but keep trying it, you may find you like it later. My kids will gladly eat a salad for dinner with no complaints what so ever. I find that kids are more willing to eat things that they see you eating. They are naturally curious about things and so will try things as well. This makes making dinner easier on me.
The croutons are easy to make. Just cut up some bread from a bakery that you like. This is a rosemary olive oil bread. I cut into cubes. I then placed on a baking tray drizzled with olive oil sprinkled salt and a little paprika. Then I placed them under the broiler and let them toast, turning them once.
The croutons are optional obviously. However, I thought it would give the salad a good crunch, and give us some carbs we would need.
Recipe: Easy Chicken Salad With a Balsamic Honey dressing
- Mixed greens
- Rotisserie chicken
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Green onions
- Baby Portabella Mushrooms
- Bread cut into cubes
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Cut veggies as you would like to have them in your salad. (e.g. slice the cucumbers, quarter the tomatoes, slice onions, slice mushrooms) place a bed of lettuce on the plate, add the veggies, and then portion out the chicken.
- Croutons: cube bread, turn oven on to broil, drizzle bread with olive oil, season with a pinch of salt, and some paprika. Toast on one side a few minutes, then flip bread cubes and toast on the other side.
- Dressing: Mix together in a measuring jug, 1 tbs olive oil, 2 tbs of basalmic vinegar, 1 tbs of honey, pinch of salt and cracked pepper to taste. Mix together all ingredients, and drizzle about 1 tbs over salad. 1 tbs of dressing is about 42 oz. = 48 calories, and 3.5 g Fat
Calroies/Stats for this is for one serving of salad:
- 73 g spring mix greens
- 42 g sliced cucumbers
- 32 g cherry tomato
- 42 g mushrooms
- 130 g rotisserie chicken
- 42 oz or 1 tbs of dressing
- 33 g croutons
Calories 441, Fat 12.9 g, Fiber 1.7 g, Carbs 35.2 g, Sodium 998 mg, Protein 37.2 g
Eating well can be easy. I find that people think that to eat well you have to make it complicated. That is just not the case. Sometimes a simple salad is the way to go. If you are a busy mom, and dinner time sneaks up on you. Try making this.