I am so lucky to have such great teachers/trainers. They often talk about counter attacks, movement, and also how best to get your strikes in. One of the things we hear often and it is very true. If you want to hit the face hit the belly, and vice versa. Changing levels allows you to control the fight. Often times when you hit low people will instinctively cover that area, then the face is open. If you hit the face or even go for the face they will keep their hands up and leave their torso open.
Tuesday 12/10/2019 – 2 hours… Muay Thai and Kali
Today begins my martial arts training for the week. It was a great day of class.
Lots of elbows in class, and conditioning training for Muay Thai.
- lead #1/horizontal elbow, rear #3/downward diagonal elbow, rear #7/inside out elbow
- Lead #1/horizontal elbow, rear #2/upward diagonal elbow, rear #7/inside out elbow
- Lead #1/horizontal elbow, rear #2/upward diagonal elbow, to lead #9/spinning back elbow
In Kali we worked on several different combos. They were all flowing very well, then of course changing just one thing made my brain melt again like Kali does. We did all 48 combos, and then asymmetrically trained with one person doing two sticks, and one drilling partner doing dos manos hold (two hand hold like a Japanese sword).
I felt so tethered keeping both hands on the blade. It feels like I don’t have as much reach, and you have to move your body in a completely different way to meet your partners blows, and avoid getting hit. You have to execute a lot of abaniko moves when holding a sword to keep from getting hit.
Abaniko – means fan
It was a fun class, but it really did melt my brain. Just when I think I am getting everything. I am learning the moves and flowing well. We change one thing, and my brain melts. That is one of the things I love about Kali.
Thursday 12/12/2019 – 2 hours… Muay Thai and Kali
Elbows, clenches and knees oh my!
We worked on elbows to clench, and knee transitions today.
- Lead #1/horizontal elbow, rear #6/side in elbow, rear #7/side out elbow, rear roll to clench, full plumb, and run 3 knees, spin out opponent, and kick
- Lead #1/horizontal elbow, lead #7/side out elbow, rear #8/tach malak or lady putting flower in her hair elbow, clench to full plumb, spin out opponent, and double kick
48 strike drill
Dos Manos Brain melting asymmetrical sparring.
Friday 12/13/2019 – 1 hours… Muay Thai and Kali
Today Tony kicked my booty. But that was a great thing. I want to get stronger and stronger.
- Jumping Rope for 3 minutes
- conditioning: 3 x 3 minutes of foot shuffle, and hopping hurdles
- mountain climber with a punch on bag and skip knee number 2 x 1 minute 3 minutes alternating between
- lead teep, shuffle into lead body hook, rear upper cut, lead head hook, immediately double kick wi
- thout taking a step.
- rear torso kick, to rear hop double kick
- Then I did 200 kicks to the bag, and 200 teeps to the bag.
I am exhausted. But the good kind of exhausted… you know? I am about to go pass out in my bed. I hope you have a great weekend. Thanks for reading.